Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cardinal Hoyos: Some not satisfied even after pope's Tridentine Mass decree

By Brian Kopp

Is the PCED really above criticism in its handling of Summorum Pontificum? As noted earlier on this blog,

We've had "clarifications" that the new lectionary can be imposed upon the Gregorian Rite Mass and that the readings can be done in the vernacular, that the Novus Ordo observance of Holy Days of Obligation can be imposed on the old calendar, we've heard opinions that the discipline of kneeling to receive Holy Communion on the tongue cannot be enforced in celebrations of the Gregorian Rite Mass, and we've had the whole "Good Friday Prayer" fiasco. So, why is the anticipated PCED clarification of Summorum Pontificum being delayed so long...?


Cardinal Hoyos seems to resent criticism and internet apologetics for the restoration of Traditional Catholicism:

Cardinal: Some not satisfied even after pope's Tridentine Mass decree

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service
Sep-16-2008

ROME (CNS) -- Rather than being grateful, some people have reacted to Pope Benedict XVI's wider permission for the celebration of the Tridentine Mass with further demands, said Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos.

The cardinal, president of the Pontifical Commission "Ecclesia Dei," spoke Sept. 16 at a conference marking the first anniversary of "Summorum Pontificum," the document by which Pope Benedict expanded access to the Tridentine rite, the Mass rite used before the Second Vatican Council.

Cardinal Castrillon, whose commission works with communities using the old rite, said his office continues to receive letters requesting the Tridentine rite be used not just at one Mass a week but at every Mass, and that such Masses be available not just at one church in a town but at every church.

He said he even got a letter demanding that Rome's Basilica of St. Mary Major be dedicated exclusively to the celebration of the Tridentine-rite Mass.

Such people, he said, are "insatiable, incredible."

"They do not know the harm they are doing," Cardinal Castrillon said, adding that when the Vatican does not accept their demands immediately "they go directly to the Internet" and post their complaints.

The cardinal and officials in his office have been saying for more than a year now that they were preparing detailed instructions responding to questions about how to implement the papal document, which said the Mass in the new Roman Missal, introduced in 1970, remains the ordinary way of Catholic worship.

Asked about the status of those detailed instructions, Cardinal Castrillon told Catholic News Service that his office had completed its work and passed the draft on to the pope, who would make the final decision about its publication.


In addition to responding to the desire of Catholics who wanted more frequent and easier access to Mass celebrated in the old rite, the pope's 2007 document was seen as a major step toward reconciliation with the followers of the late French Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, who was excommunicated when he ordained four bishops against the express wishes of Pope John Paul II.

But the process of reconciliation broke down in late June when Bishop Bernard Fellay, superior of the Society of St. Pius X and one of the four bishops ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre, failed to meet four conditions posed by Cardinal Castrillon for moving the process forward.

"The Eucharist should never become a point of contrast and a point of separation," Cardinal Castrillon said at the Sept. 16 conference. "What is more important: the mystery of God who becomes bread or the language by which we celebrate the mystery?"

The cardinal said the Mass -- in whatever language it is celebrated -- must be a service motivated by love and "never a sword" used against other Christians.

By making it easier for priests to celebrate the older liturgy and for the faithful to have access to it, he said, "the vicar of Christ (the pope) was not just exercising his task of governing, but was exercising his task of sanctifying" the people of God.

"When we are before the greatest expression of love for humanity -- the Eucharist -- how can we fight?" Cardinal Castrillon asked.


It must be noted that all the problems of the past 40 years did not evaporate over night with Summorum Pontificum, and that much heavy lifting remains to be done. Some concrete action in the face of recalcitrant bishops would go a long, long way in defusing criticism of the PCED. If the Pope himself were to publicly offer the Gregorian Rite Mass, this too would help defuse the current frustration level among traditional Catholics. (It was not irrational to hope he would have done so within the first 14 months (!) of publication of Summorum Pontificum.)

But with both July 7, 2008 and September 14, 2008 coming and going with neither the publication of the PCED "clarification" nor the Pope himself offering the TLM, the criticism is indeed legitimate.

ADDENDUM:

RorateCaeli has posted a brief comment that seems to summarize the response of most reasonable traditional Catholics to Cardinal Hoyos' puzzling comments:

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Moving slowly

The first public confirmation of the document which should clarify "Summorum Pontificum" was made nearly a year ago, on October 12, 2007. Its publication has been delayed several times, and today Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos, President of the Pontifical Commission "Ecclesia Dei", confirmed "that his office had completed its work and passed the draft on to the pope, who would make the final decision about its publication."

Regarding the rest of the article: while there may certainly be room for criticism of a few lay faithful who behave less prudently, we wonder if there has been any true action against bishops who still persecute Traditional Catholic priests and lay faithful around the world or who ignore their requests. Is "Ecclesia Dei" ready and willing to provide the oversight and to exercise the authority it has already been granted by Summorum, regardless of new general clarifications?

posted by New Catholic

11 comments:

Jordanes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordanes said...

Hey, it's certainly good to know that at least the document is done, and is just waiting on the Pope to decide what to do next.

Time to grab those rosaries, folks.

Dan Hunter said...

"Cardinal Castrillon, whose commission works with communities using the old rite, said his office continues to receive letters requesting the Tridentine rite be used not just at one Mass a week but at every Mass, and that such Masses be available not just at one church in a town but at every church"

Now we have Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos backtracking on what he earler said, when he called for ALL parishes to offer the Gregorian Rite.
And when O when is the document on the clarifications coming out?

The hierarchy can be very confusing sometimes.

Brian Kopp said...

Dan Hunter said...
"Now we have Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos backtracking on what he earlier said, when he called for ALL parishes to offer the Gregorian Rite."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this...

Brian Kopp said...

An old friend over at FreeRepublic made a pertinent comment on this article:

This story is a bit strange. There is a much bigger problem in the reception of Summorum Pontificum, and it is not from traditionalists.

There is still a de facto ban on the Extraordinary Form in most dioceses. Even when a priest knows how to offer this form of the Mass, he is often prevented from doing so through unlawful "tests" which bishops have imposed, or through simple intimidation.

There needs to be a lot more generosity on the part of bishops before I will believe that a few cranks who complain on blogs no one reads is some sort of crisis.

Dad29 said...

meh...

There's a good deal of justification for the Cardinal's comments, based on my conversations (over 20 years' duration) with EF adherents.

About 5-10% of them are simply unhappy with ANY liturgical arrangement. Yes, there is plenty to be cynical (or unhappy) about; but reality never seems to intrude on the minds of some.

As posted by D Alexander today (http://www.summorumpontificum.net/2008/09/advocatus-diaboli-supply-reconsidered.html) it's not just a matter of magic.

A lot of forces have to be assembled and deployed.

And IIRC, disobedience to authority has a long, long, history. One would think that if nothing else, EF adherents would at least understand history's lessons.

Brian Kopp said...

"There's a good deal of justification for the Cardinal's comments"

When the PCED has publicly dealt with the recalcitrant/intransigent/disobedient bishops who are preventing the implementation of Summorum Pontificum, then it might be time to publicly dress down those who are writing, desperately seeking relief from these bishops.

Until then, these comments are uncharitable at best. A man of Cardinal Hoyos' caliber and experience should be able to simply ignore the more outrageous letters and internet posts.

So who is he really attacking here?

Dad29 said...

Brian, what would you have PCED do to 'recalcitrant Bishops'?

Flogging?

Public shaming?

You can read the book "Papal Legislation on Sacred Music" by Mgr. Hayburn, or take my word for it (I did read it...): disobedience to Rome is (practically) the fifth mark of the Church.

That may be irreverent, but it's true.

Brian Kopp said...

"what would you have PCED do to 'recalcitrant Bishops'?"

Simply send them a letter outlining the rights of the priests to offer the TLM without any interference from the local bishop, send the same letter to the priests involved, and encourage those priests to continue to prepare and then offer the TLM.

If there are any reprisals against the priests by aforesaid bishops, then let it be worked out in the canonical system. Of course, the priests in question would be permitted to continue to offer the TLM until the bishop(s) proves in canonical court why the priests should not offer the TLM.

And who is at the top of the canonical courts that would handle such cases? Archbishop Burke.

Game, set, and match.

Dad29 said...

Umnnnhhhh, yah.

And you expect that the Bishops will suddenly fall into line because they got a LETTER?

....or that the priests will be willing to commit the time and money to take the case into Canon Courts, (not to mention the niggling little 'troublemaker' mark they'll incur on their file)?

I think the Benedictine Revolution WILL occur, but it will play out in the same time-frame that the Bugnini Revolution did--about 50 years.

Meantime, we are bound to be charitable, (which prevents me from pistol-whipping certain prelates, but such self-denial may win a few days off Purgatory!)

Brian Kopp said...

Meantime, we are bound to be charitable, (which prevents me from pistol-whipping certain prelates, but such self-denial may win a few days off Purgatory!)

Fortunately (if I understand it correctly) in the new Code of Canon, one only incurs a latae sententiae excommunication for striking the person of the Pope. It is no longer a latae sententiae excommunication for simply striking a priest, bishop, or cardinal (though there may be certain civil and criminal repercussions, which would have to be weighed against the merits of the pistol-whipping, tar-and-feathering, or other corporal works of mercy one might envision.)